History of Clymping
Clymping is a civil parish of 690 hectares, located in the Aun District of West Sussex. We have a wonderful Norman church complete with the fantastic Reverand Richard Hayes (he married us so we're biased), two public houses, a farm shop, a blacksmith, an exclusive hotel & spa, B&B accommodation, holiday rental cottages, a couple of farms, local school and a village hall with sports fields.
Most of the village South of the A259 is protected by what used to be called "The Climping Strategic Gap". This has now been re-defined as an "Infrastructural Green Corridor".
The Duke of Norfolk fixed the river mouth at Littlehampton in the 1500's to improve Arundel as a port. Having secured the river mouth, shipbuilding became an important local industry. In Rope Walk twisted hemp ropes were made by hand for the shipbuilders. The nearest bridge from Clymping to Littlehampton was at Arundel until a swing bridge was built in 1908.
St. Mary's Church- dates from 1060
The Mill - appears on the estate map of Atherington Manor that was made in 1606.
Bailiffscourt Hotel has a remarkable history. The Bailiff of the medieval Abbey of Seez in Normandy had built a house here by the 13th Century. All that remains of this now is a small chapel and the moat. Lord and Lady Moyne's initiative in 1927 created this architectural masterpiece. A number of the buildings are 17th and 18th Century buildings that were brought in and re-erected by Lord Moyne. Bailiffscourt gives every appearance of having witnessed many secrets over the centuries.
To the south of the beach the remains of the lost village of Cudlow, which disappeared beneath the waves in the 16th Century, can still be seen at low water during spring tides
The Victoria County History for Sussex Volume 5 part 1 was issued in 1997. The section relevant to the parish can be found at: